Pages

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Frugal Chicken Pot Pie 85p per quarter of pie!

I've always wanted to make a chicken pot pie, I have no explanation for this, I have just always wanted to.

At the weekend I bought a whole chicken and roasted it...it was quite flavourless so decided it was the perfect time to use the meat for a pie!

I found a recipe online and more or less followed it...


Ingredients and costing:

Items bought:
Chicken (whole £3) only half was used = £1.50
1 tin of carrots (yes tinned...asked me if I care) = 20p
1 tin of garden teas = 20p
1 tin of sweetcorn = 20p
Single cream (not even half used) = 60p
Pastry (total £1.39 - half used rest frozen) = 69p

= £3.39 / 4 (portions)
= 85p (rounded up)

In the cupboard:
1 chicken stock cube
flour (for rolling the pastry)
butter

I followed the recipe which is linked above, in summary:


  1. Cream + stock + veg - boil for a bit
  2. Drain off the liquid and keep this
  3. Melt butter, add flour + stock/cream broth
  4. Once thickened add veg and chicken
  5. Allow to cool
  6. Pre-heat over (180-200C)
  7. Roll out pastry and put cover the bottom of the baking tin in pastry
  8. Fill pastry shell with the cooled pie mix 
  9. Roll out top and put on top of the pie mix. 
  10. BAKE (20-25 mins)
  11. Cut and serve
The pie was really full and really tasty - the pastry cooked well on the bottom as well.

For more information about the instructions






No comments:

Post a Comment